Thursday, December 25, 2008

Ghajini

It was a happy day for me, I caught Ghajini. First day some second or third show.

Three words. GO WATCH IT.

Before I begin, I'd like to tell you that most of this review will be very biased towards Aamir Khan, because I have been in love with him since I was five years old.

The movie is brilliantly made. Sure, the story is rather unbelievable, but then again, its a Bollywood movie. It keeps you on the edge of your chair, chewing your nails for the complete duration of three and a half hours. Aamir Khan has done an extremely commendable job, portraying Sanjay Singhania, who is, as the villain calls him, a sh-oort term memory loss patient, and an extremely violent one at that. This is one of the few action films Aamir has done, and after Ghajini, he's a certified badass! But what puzzled me was how he became a left hander all of a sudden. Kalpana, the love of Sanjay's life, was played by Asin, a newcomer, whose role is very comparable to Kareena in Jab We Met, and most Priety Zinta roles; a happy, slightly mad, overly talkative blissfully-unaware-about-everything kind of girl. It was nicely done, though her Tamil accent was obvious in a few scenes. But she totally played her role to the part. Jiah Khan was so-so. The only proper dialogue she had throughout the movie was, 'Hi I'm Sunita. I'm a medical student.' Pradeep Rawat is the villain here, as in the Tamil version(you may remember him as the Surd in Lagaan), and yes, he's a super cunning and vile one at that. The film is very graphic (my mom had her eyes shut for very many scenes) and there certainly is a lot of violence in it, though its nothing if you've gotten used to Body of Lies and the likes.

The music, by A R Rahman, speaks for itself. Most of the songs were dream sequences, but songs kind of make or break the Bollywood movie. My favourite was Aye Bachchu and Behka. Guzaarish, I thought was very Suraj Hua Madham. But A R Rahman, as usual has done a superb job. Three cheers!

I give the movie a 4.5/5. Its a must watch. Definitely worth watching in an in-between exams study break, and a very well spent break, at that. Completely worth getting sandwiched for an hour in an attempt to buy tickets. Oh, and the eight pack was highlighted too much, I tell you. Methinks a six pack might've looked much better! But, Ab jaao jaake dekho!

No comments: