Sunday, June 15, 2008

Miles to go before I what?

They say these words found a place on our first Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru's desk.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-Robert Frost

The poem, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening, from which these lines are taken, was taught to us in the 8th grade. The teacher who taught us English then,(Sigh, those were the days, when we actually had a subject called English!) greatly emphasized on these lines. We were greatly impressed, at least I was, by:
a. the poet's brilliance of using such simple words and turning them into something as effective as this.
b. the portrayal of the poet's determination and dedication.

Well, naive as I was, I thought to myself, wow! Now if he can think like that, so can I. And if I think like that, my life's going to be super-successful!

WRONG!

Now now, don't get me wrong. Those words still mean a great deal Its one of those things that hit you smack in the face, saying get up and do your thing! They still remain super inspiring and leave the reader staring into blank space for a few minutes after they're done absorbing the poem.

What happened then, you may ask.

Real simple. You can bet on my answer here, because its going to be that obvious. LIFE. Life happened.

And life being life couldn't let me mind my business. No no it couldn't. It had to bring into existence this monster named VTU. Stupid university. Stupid engineering. Stupid college. And this comes from one of the most positive people you could've ever met. No kidding!

What's the connection between the poem and VTU,
you might ask. Everything, I say.

You see, when I read the poem, being a kid, it actually crossed my mind that I could apply this to my life. And I tried. And I did for quite sometime. Tried till it was possible. And then I couldn't anymore. Why? Simple, VTU again. There's something about VTU, it can't stand the sight of a happy student. It does everything it can to put you down. And then you decide, this isn't how its going to be. I'm better than this. I can beat this. I'll kick its a**! I'll start tomorrow.

Tomorrow???
Whatever happened to 'miles to go....'?

See the connection?

Now lets take a moment here while I think of an appropriate ending to this post.

Ah, I think I'll do it tomorrow!

No comments: